Strength Training In Pregnancy And Postpartum with Juliann Balley
Pregnancy is not an illness and pregnant people are not patients. We are normal people, who happen to be carrying and growing another human being inside of us.
And yes, it’s not easy! The physical demands on the body are significant. But in a normal, healthy pregnancy, one can pretty much carry on doing what one was doing before being pregnant.
My brain knows this, yet when I see videos of pregnant people lifting weights, or running, or doing cross-fit, a part of me always goes, oh, is that safe?
I had to question myself and ask if my reaction was a result social conditioning? Doctors advise pregnant people to go swimming, walking and do yoga, but strength training is definitely not in the prenatal handbook!
I am only now, at age 38 starting to do light strength training myself. I hope to continue throughout my pregnancy. I’m combining it with Yoga and the results are really positive.
Naturally, I was curious and sought out an expert in the field to answer all my questions!
Please enjoy this conversation with Juliann Balley, a mom of three, based in North Texas, USA. Juliann is a Pregnancy & Postpartum Athleticism Coach, CrossFit Level 1 Trainer, and works with the Pregnancy & Postpartum Athleticism Brand with Brianna Battles. She has a passion for all things motherhood, birth, fitness and healthy living, which is really obvious from this conversation and her insightful posts on social media.
In this episode we talk about:
- What it means to feel empowered during pregnancy and postpartum
- Strength training during pregnancy and postpartum: benefits, risks, precautions and how to modify
- Concept of fear and safety for exercise during pregnancy
- Athlete brain: Juliann explains this important term!
- Juliann’s personal fitness & health journey throughout her 3 pregnancies
- The impact of exercise on breastmilk production
- The mental and emotional effect of exercise during pregnancy and postpartum.
Learn more about Juliann: visit her website Motherhood Barbell, follow her on IG @juliann.balley or book an empowerment session https://motherhoodbarbell.as.me/schedule.php
***Online Mother’s Circle***
Join our Free Monthly Online Mother’s Circle for a friendly chat. Anyone who is pregnant or postnatal is welcome! The next one is May 26th, so click here to sign up and book your spot!