Last summer, I found myself asking my mum, “Is this peri-menopause?”. I was having lots of hot flushes and sweating.
Her response was, “No, you’ve forgotten what Spanish summers are like and you’re breastfeeding!”
She might have been right. Who knows? This summer I’m pregnant, and my body is going through something else! However, I’d rather be prepared for peri-menopause and learn how to manage this new phase of myself whenever it decides to come!
I also realised that I know NOTHING about it. The first time I heard about Peri-menopause was on TV. I was watching the Netflix show, ‘’Working Mums’’ where the main character comes home from the doctors and says, in shock, that she has ‘’peri-f*ing-menopause’’!
In today’s episode we’re on a slightly different path, and shifting our focus from pregnancy and postpartum to peri-menopause and menopause.
Especially for this, we have Sally Parkes, an expert in woman’s health yoga and also a Yoga teacher trainer. Sally has expanded her prenatal and postnatal yoga teacher trainings to also include a Yoga for Menopause Teacher Training.
As an added perspective, Sally is going through peri-menopause herself, giving us a firsthand insight into what it’s really like. In this episode we delve into:
- Various aspects of peri-menopause and menopause, including hormonal changes taking place.
- Sally’s personal experience as she’s entering Peri-menopause. From her physical and emotional symptoms to how it impacts her work and her life as a single mum raising two daughters.
- Comparisons and relationships between peri-menopause and pregnancy and postpartum.
- Hormonal changes during peri-menopause, how they impact how we perform different exercises and what Yoga for Menopause looks like.
- Sally’s take on Hormone Replacement Therapy and other products which are promoted by media.
- How to handle the often negative emotions arising from our changing bodies and the outside world’s perceptions during this phase of life.
This episode was truly enlightening! Sally courageously opens up about the reality on Peri-menopause – physically, emotionally, hormonally and even from society’s perspective!
Learn more about Sally and her Trainings here: Sally Parkes Pregnancy, Menopause, Postnatal, Fertility Yoga Teacher Training (sallyparkesyoga.com)