Breastfeeding and all that lies beneath, with Myrte van Lonkhuijsen
This week I speak to Myrte van Lonkhuijsen, an expert lactation consultant, mother of three and grandmother.
During her breastfeeding workshop in Amsterdam, which I attended during my first pregnancy, I was pleasantly surprised how the focus wasn’t about promoting breastfeeding, but about making an informed and intelligent decision for you, your baby, your family and your career.
That’s why I’m thrilled to have had a conversation with Myrte were we discuss a whole range of topics around breastfeeding, and why there is so much more that meets the eye. Here is some of what we discussed:
- How she struggled, yet persevered, with breastfeeding her 3 children.
- The most common questions or challenges Myrte hears from new mothers when it comes to breastfeeding
- Why there are more women who now suffer more from over-production, whereas before the challenge was under-production
- Why is it that so many women struggle with what appears to be such a natural and instinctive process
- Where the underlying challenges behind breastfeeding really lie.
- The World Health Organisation recommendations on breastfeeding, and whether they can really be integrated into our lives.
- The mother’s return to work, and all that lies behind that!
- A brief introduction into oxytocin and the important role it has
- Tips and tricks to help mothers swap from ‘’mama mode’’ to ‘’career mode’’ in an instant.
- The effect of multi-tasking and using screens have whilst you’re feeding your baby (don’t worry, it doesn’t make you a bad mother!)
- Managing people’s expectations and establishing boundaries whilst breastfeeding a toddler
- Simple movements to help relieve uncomfortable symptoms during breastfeeding
- Why and how we can practice mindfulness, breathwork and yoga whilst feeding you baby.
Connect with Myrte on her website http://www.myrteibclc.nl/ or IG Myrtevlo (@myrteibclc) • Instagram photos and videos